Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Olympics: Day 1.3

February 12, 2010.

The cross country showcase started off with Hymn to the North... with a giant bear coming out of the floor! Very cool. We systematically turned our flashlights on and off to create the northern lights. There were also whales spraying from the floor, and salmon swimming upstream.

In the Sacred Grove, people danced around an Emily Carr forest, while Sarah McLachlan performed Ordinary Mircale.

Then everything turned gold, and some of them rose into the sky.

IN the Rhythms of the Fall segment, there was a tribute to the French-Canadian tale La chasse-galerie, and much dancing and fiddling.

Ashley McIsaac joined the party!

There was even fire shoes!

In Peaks of Endeavour, snowboarders and skiers scaled a mountain.

Eventually, skaters began circling below. How the managed to roller blade on the carpet floor I will never know!

John Furlong and Jacques Rogge came out to talk. John Furlong talked. And talked. And butchered the French language. Repeatedly.

A great cross-section of famous Canadians carried in the Olympic flag.

The Mounties raised it.

And soprano Measha Breuggergosman sang the Olympic anthem. It was lovely.

To add some French, Garou (who I totally know, since we watched Notre Dame de Paris like 20 times in Grade 8) sang. I know for a fact that the NBC coverage went to commercial for him. Jerks.

Rick Hansen slowly climbed the steep carpeted ramp into the stadium, carrying the flame.

He passed it off to Catriona LeMay Doan, who is one of my favourites (I love the lady speed skaters).

She gave it to Steve Nash.

Eventually, the flame made its way from Nancy Greene to Wayne Gretzky.

I'm sure you all know that part of the cauldron malfunctioned while rising from the floor. Apparently TV viewers couldn't tell for a good while, but I saw it immediately... it was intense.

But the show went on! And it rocked!

The final torchbearers posed for a picture (on our side of the stadium, since we had the best seats :D) and the Wayne Gretzky went off to light the outdoor cauldron.

After everyone laid claim to the drums and programs that were on empty seats (there were some small blocks reserved for athletes families that weren't used), all 66,000 spectators had to exit through one gate. It was quite the human traffic jam in the rain, especially since pretty much everyone was headed to the second cauldron to check it out. So was half of downtown.

Yes, thousands upon thousands of people were all headed to the same 20 foot hole in the uncovered chain link fence to get a glimpse of the amazing cauldron.

So many people complained about it, but look how well my pictures turned out!

People need a little more patience. Although a larger area for viewing would have been nice (and was eventually provided).

Back at the hostel, I laid out everything I got from the ceremony, including some leaves that fell from the ceiling. It was one of the best days I'll ever experience.

No comments: