Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Cheesefake

On Tuesday, [Yes, almost a freaking week ago! I'm so slow] my family came to Ottawa for dinner. They've come before, but this was the first time in 4.5 years of living in Ottawa that they actually came for dinner at my apartment. It was kind of a big deal. And its totally lame that it took so long.

That afternoon, I'd been at the mall and I just happened to go to The Bay to see if there was any possible chance that they had the impossible to find Olympic Red Mittens [which, by the way, have sold more than 1.8 million pairs in Canada since October].

Somehow, after months of searching, I found the mittens. Of course, I already had my pair, which Darryl bought on the second day they existed, but Momma and Alison wanted them too. So I got them for them.

And they were extremely happy!

So we were all nerds.

And did a Red Mitten photo shoot.

Because we're awesome.

NOTE: this apartment has two successful picture backdrops... the bookcase and the map.

So, after all that fun was over, we had dinner. Darryl and I made fettuccine Alfredo with chicken, and it was super delicious. My mom brought dessert... our family's absolute favourite dessert: no bake cherry cheesecake. It is simple and delicious, but it has to be made with the exact right ingredients. Our mouths know.

Over the past year, Darryl has been honing his own cheesecake recipe to suit my needs. The last time he made it, it was PERFECT. There was much rejoicing. So much so, that Momma was all like "mine will still be better."

But when I went to serve it, it was falling off the spatula before I could even get it onto the plates. It was a mess. Then the truths started coming out: She had used Cool Whip instead of Dream Whip. FAIL.

Light Cool Whip. FAIL 2.

And light cream cheese. FAIL 3.

And some random brand of graham crumbs, instead of the HoneyMaid ones. FAIL 4.

And margarine, instead of real butter. Which she had previously claimed to have used. FAIL 5.

I know you may think we were being ridiculous, but we deviated 5 times from the tried and true recipe of champions, and Momma had already been on record claiming superiority. She said she didn't think we'd notice. I guess she forgot who her kids are. The thing is, it could have been fine, but it actually tasted awful. 5 wrongs just don't make a right.

Cheesecake debacle and much ribbing aside, we had a fantastic night. It was awesome. And I hope we do it again soon. However, Alison's really long hug broke my heart when they were leaving... if she'd had the money to come to the Olympics with me, she would have been my #1 choice for travel companion.

And I promise that we will go to the next Canadian Olympics together, no matter what.

3 comments:

dt4ever said...

It should be noted that the "Cheesefake" was better after a night in the fridge.

Bec said...

I love those red shelves :) also your family is really cute!

La Simonga said...

Lovely pics! :D