Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Long Con

I've been lying to my coworkers for at least a week, and I've still got another week to continue this lie... maybe even a week and a half.

Why you ask? Partly because I wanted to skip out on the staff party, and partly because I got the dates of said party wrong.

After working lengthy shifts on Saturday night, a bus was arriving at the restaurant to haul the employees off to Kingston for a two-day cottage extravaganza of free food and booze and cottaging, camping and water fun.

That's right, between the shift and then the 2 days of party, that's like 3 full days of being with your coworkers. Even stuck on an island with them, two hours away.

Why would I want to go to this? I like most of my coworkers, but I already see them 35-40 hours per week. That's more than I see anyone else. So why would I want to spend a couple full days with them, making it 13 consecutive days that I see them?

I just don't see the appeal of being work-focused on my days off. There are more important things in my life, like relaxing, and going to IKEA with Darryl to explore the magical world of shelving units.

Maybe a one night party? That would have been fine. I do love free food and booze. But 2 full days away? Ridiculous!

So where does the lie come in? As the party approached, I started being hounded by all the people who were going [which is everyone in the place, except for about half the kitchen staff, since we're kind of our own group]. At first, I thought the party was NEXT weekend, so I just said I was moving that day, and that was the end of that. But then I discovered that the party was THIS weekend, and rather than being a fool who doesn't even know when a party is, and also to avoid coming up with a NEW reason to weasel out of the party [with all the people who 'really wish I was going because they'd love to party with me'], I just kept up with the idea that I was moving today.

So if you happen to see me at work, I'll be able to answer all the questions about my big move today [see: dinner with Kathryn and Dave]. The weather was nice for my move, my sister took off work to come help, and I've already got some of my stuff set up in the new place.

And next Tuesday when I go to work, I will have to shut up about how tired I am from moving the day before. And yes, these people will ask. These people ask about everything, especially when its in relation to 'why aren't you going to the party?'

4 comments:

janis said...

I had to comment as I read your comment on Lets have a Cocktail. Make that a fifth visitor!
How can someone have 20,000 visitors? I am so blog-jealous!
Nice blog.

Anonymous said...

Love Without Borders, in response to Taiwan's 88 flood, please go to my site ~ Thank you for blessing the whole world!

雲林山區立委補選國民黨提名參選人張艮輝,98/8/23於斗南成立服務處。當天誠心為88災民祈福,祈願蒼天福澤災民,能快速重建家園。

雲林立委候選人張艮輝於會場上表達一貫堅持的參選理念,「一份理想、2 個希望、 3大改變」,並藉盛會為台灣祈福,場上的台灣加油地圖由地方代表等數十人點燃230支蠟燭,代表為台灣加油並點亮台灣因受88水災所面臨的黑暗期,在點燃蠟燭的同時,張艮輝也宣讀為台灣祈福文表示願為台灣這塊土地承受所有苦難。

雲林國民黨雲林立委張艮輝>>>參考網站

Anonymous said...

Love Without Borders, in response to Taiwan's 88 flood, please go to my site ~ Thank you for blessing the whole world!

雲林山區立委補選國民黨提名參選人張艮輝,98/8/23於斗南成立服務處。當天誠心為88災民祈福,祈願蒼天福澤災民,能快速重建家園。

雲林立委候選人張艮輝於會場上表達一貫堅持的參選理念,「一份理想、2 個希望、 3大改變」,並藉盛會為台灣祈福,場上的台灣加油地圖由地方代表等數十人點燃230支蠟燭,代表為台灣加油並點亮台灣因受88水災所面臨的黑暗期,在點燃蠟燭的同時,張艮輝也宣讀為台灣祈福文表示願為台灣這塊土地承受所有苦難。

雲林國民黨雲林立委張艮輝>>>參考網站

JennyMac said...

Haha..I wont tell your secret.

You better lay that "so tired" bit on thick. :)