Sunday, July 26, 2009

The Flashbacks: 1998

I think 1998 was the year of the weird face, based on this photo from my first year on the Renfrew Lions Club. I'm back left, 2nd guy.

It was the year of the massive ice storm right in my own backyard. [see: Ice Storm '98]

My cousin Kennedy was born with about 19 pounds of hair.

I was squeezed into the middle of this curling picture. Pretty sure this is in Petawawa. Lindsay could confirm this I'm sure. Our sweatshirts totally kick their non-sweatshirt asses.

Our summer vacation to Toronto included a stop at the Hockey Hall of Fame [see: replica of the Montreal Canadiens dressing room from the Forum]. We also went to Wonderland with my aunt and uncle. We stayed at a nice hotel, and the fire alarm went off at 3am for a long time, on and off. Not cool.

We saw the Canadian geese by the waterfront, of course.

We also went to Niagara Falls. We were accompanied by stripes, and the worst face ever made in Southern Ontario. This trip also included Niagara On The Lake and an afternoon watching massive freighters go through the locks of the Welland Canal. Way more impressive than Ottawa's locks. [Sorry, Ottawa... yours are cool too!]

I have oh so many pictures of the geography of the Niagara area. This is the nicest.

This day was torture. We had just returned from two weeks on vacation, and I had to play in an all day baseball tournament. 3 games. We were 3rd place.

To make things worse, I also had a soccer tournament that day. Also 3 games. That's right, I somehow managed to play 3 soccer games AND 3 softball games in one day. And the locations were about 25 minutes apart. So much uniform changing and eating in the car. Our soccer team was 1st place. I also once had a hockey tournament and curling bonspiel on the same day. Having to get dressed in hockey equipment in a car sucks.

One day, Athena and Rebecca came over to play in the leaves.

Alison took a nap on grandma's wicked couch.

Here's a picture of the elders of mom's family. Grandma, great aunt Dorothy, great aunt Catherine, her husband Ed, and Sister Clare, my rockin' nun great aunt who has a library named after her.

We went to Chicago for an extremely lavish wedding of a relative I'd never heard of before. Cousin Tom, and his bride Robyn. This picture is of my sister, dad, cousin Tommy, mom, uncle Jeff, cousin Timmy and his son Timmy. Missing from the photo is Tommy's dad, Tommy. We were put up in this MASSIVE house [you can't tell] in Dundee that they just happened to have lying around for us.

For those playing along at home, that was Timmy x2, Tommy x2.

Grade 6. Back row, left side, grey shirt. Rebecca is the girl that looks like a boy with a tie in front of me. Elyse is 4 over from her.

At Christmas, dad made sure the turkey was cooked. This picture shouldn't even exist.

Aunt Sheila whipped out the eyeballs for a gift she clearly hated HAHA.

Alison and I hung out with our cousins Jenny and Cheryl. We were clearly starting to get tired, as this was one of our Roesler family Christmas Eves, which used to last until about 4am. With a family that big, just opening all the presents [one person at a time, youngest to oldest] took hours. This year, mom got the flu and had to leave around midnight. Dad, Alison and I got home around 4:30am. Mom was sick and dying on the couch, and we decided to have Christmas morning then instead of going to bed for 2 or 3 hours and waking up. Sorry mom.

A lovely picture of my second cousin Mary and her mother Dorothy. 5 years after this picture, they both passes away, within 3 weeks of each other, in what was a very funeral-intensive year for our family. Very sad. I guess that's what happens when you have and know a LOT of relatives.

5 comments:

Deb said...

I used to work with Mary. We had some great times together; she could be so much fun! Her mom was a sweet lady.

Darryl said...

I second what "Anonymous" said - MOTEL!


Gotta love those Christmas Eve things that last forever... for years, we would do the exact same thing. Now that my mum's family is too big (according to my aunt), we do that with the immediate family and it doesn't last quite as long, and is therefore more enjoyable. I'm sure you'd approve.

i am playing outside said...

Deb, they were both lovely! And greatly missed. Welcome, fellow Renfrew blogger!

Darryl, for the most part I loved the late night Christmas Eves... the picture is actually probably of us being annoyed by some relative. HAHA

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

I love these time travel trips to your not so distant past. You are quite the chronicler (is that a word?).

I hope you and Darryl are having a terrific summer. I always want to say "That's Der-Rill" like that Kids In the Hall sketch. Forgive me.

i am playing outside said...

Lady, I'm glad you're enjoying the childhood! I figured someone may get a kick out of all the old pics! I scanned about 1200 to make a massive 2 volume photo book, so I figured I might as well use some of them for something else as well!

Just for you, I will allow the word chronicler ... actually, spell check is allowing it! who knew!?