Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Book Club V


A Life In The Bush by Roy MacGregor
After I read 'Canadians', I decided I'd read another Roy MacGregor book. This one takes place in the Algonquin Park/Ottawa Valley area, so I assumed it would be great. It is about the interesting life of Roy's dad Duncan, who, as the title suggests, spent almost his entire life in the bush, working and living, drinking and smoking. And reading!

The book was decent. I'd probably give it a 7/10. It is interesting, but I think it was a little long. At times, there would be a story, and that story would lead off on a tangent, and then the tangent would have tangents. Mix that with reading it on the bus and it could be two days before you get back to the original story, which you completely forgot you were reading in the first place. That's not good!

Still, the book is well written, and it gets bonus points for mentioning Renfrew a couple of times.

No comments: