Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Tulip Festival

Today was Victoria Day here in Canada [for any of you non-Canadian readers who may have wondered why we weren't at work when you tried to call us]. It also happened to be International Museum Day. The combination of everyone being off work, the first nice weather day in a while, and the fact that many museums were free for the day meant that the masses headed out for a little taste of culture.

Darryl and I went to the National Art Gallery. We had about 3 hours and made it through the two floors of permanent collections [except for the small Inuit art floor that we didn't make it to due to time constraints]. I'd previously only been there for special exhibits before!

We had a great time looking at the art. In the Canadian section, I decided that I can't stand Tom Thomson paintings, and my favourite Group of Seven painter is still Lawren Harris, just like it was in Grade 3 when I had to recreate THIS PAINTING with plasticine.

After the gallery closed, we headed over to Major's Hill Park to enjoy the tail end of the Tulip Festival, which we had planned on going to all three weekends. Well, we finally made it, with minutes to spare!

Here is a slideshow of pictures from the day. Mainly tulips, one with Darryl looking very sinister, some shots of Parliament, the Chateau Laurier, Grand Truck Central Station, and it ends with a picture of my foot on the bus which I took while playing with camera settings. The pictures are from my BlackBerry, so they're not stellar, but not awful either.


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

7 comments:

Darryl said...

bah! FAIL! i should just not be photographed... the first one is ok, though! Must learn to take good pics... teach me your trick!

i am playing outside said...

i just smile. you're too concerned. you say no to a picture, and then i have to coax you into it, and then you're still not into it. if you just wanted to get your picture taken, you'd be happier and you'd smile.

Tim said...

maybe he doesn't want his picture taken cause he is wanted by the authorities...

Still you did take some really nice pictures of the flowers, tulips are so photogenic.

i am playing outside said...

lol that's what i said to Darryl before I started... you pretty much can't take bad pictures of a bunch of tulips. it's a winning photoshoot. lol

Anonymous said...

I must agree with that statement... They are particularly nice in bunches...

I will learn to like having my picture taken... Must learn!

Helen said...

I like your photos! i wish we had a national museum day! Haven't beenn museuming in ages!

i am playing outside said...

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures! It was a great day! :)