Monday, March 9, 2009

The Book Club III

It has been 2.5 months since my last Book Club installment. I would normally like to read a book faster than that, but since the buses were out for two months and there was time off from riding the bus at Christmas and over Reading Week, and the bus is where I do my non-school reading, this one took a while.

Other People's Dirt by Louise Rafkin

I am the type of person who never knows what to read, and therefore I find out about books in random ways. I heard about this little gem on the night of New Years Day, while listening to CBC Radio with people I met the day before. Random! I took note of the name of the book because I was intrigued, and ordered it used and cheap online. The copy I got in the mail was a well-worn copy, originally from the Bethel Park Public Library, which the internet tells me is in Pennsylvania.

The book details one woman's life, from childhood to present [aka 1996, when the book was published, which is a span of maybe 40-50 years?] of her love of cleaning. Not only does she detail her favourite cleaning products [not in great detail] but she talks about the secret details of people's lives that she picks up along the way. She had me at 'I'm always there when the answering machine picks up.' Who doesn't love to find out whatever they can about other people's lives?

Later in the book, Louise goes on an adventure talking to other cleaners. Its all quite interesting. Much better than I'm making it sound. The fact that she is passionate about cleaning AND spying. I suggest you read it.

I would play outside with this book 4/5 times.

4 comments:

Bec said...

OMG, this book is about ELLIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elyse said...

hey now! although I have a love for cleaning i don't clean other people's houses and i don't really spy too much

i am playing outside said...

if i was a cleaner id totally spy

Whiskeymarie said...

Oddly enough, now I want to read this. I'm totally going on Amazon now...