Friday, February 13, 2009

The Countdown

You may have figured out by now that I love the Olympics. Well, we're a year away from Vancouver, and it was time to hit up a little celebration.

The clock was blurry, thanks to the rain.

So Darryl and I headed across the street to Parliament Hill.

Where I met Miga.

And got to hug Sumi.

And my favourite, Quatchi.

There were speeches, singers, a special rendition of the Olympic Anthem played by the Peace Tower bells.

Darryl and I waited...

For Elizabeth Manley and the Mounties to raise the Olympic flag.

It was windy and cold.

Then she trotted out the Calgary torch, as well as the newly unveiled Vancouver torch. Its pretty!

Sumi did a dance for Darryl and I while the mascots were being rounded up.

I wanted to take the mascots home. They're so damn cute!

Then Darryl held the shotgun, aided by VĂ©ronique Fortin, Olympic hopeful.

And I schooled him on how to properly torch it up. Huzzah!

We also got free pins and stickers and hot chocolate. And of course, an extra helping of frozen Canadian winter.

The back of our heads was on the national news. Sweet! lol

13 comments:

James said...

One word....

CURLING!

Elyse said...

surprised you didn't cut out that olympic stamp and take a photo and post it... you should!!

Elyse said...

surprised you didn't cut out that olympic stamp and take a photo and post it... you should!!

Elyse said...

surprised you didn't cut out that olympic stamp and take a photo and post it... you should!!

Elyse said...

o god.. why did that post so many!!!? i'm not going to bother to remove them... I apologize :(

Elyse said...

Miga is my favourite... the cutest in my opinion

i am playing outside said...

James... I used to be a pretty kickass curler :D


Elyse... you're silly.

Elyse... you're silly.

Elyse... you're silly.

Elyse... you're silly.

Elyse... they all rock, but Quatchi is my fave hehe... so hugable

katrocket said...

Have the Chinese started a multi-mascot trend now? Collect all four? They are kinda cute, but I'm not sure if they're necessary.

cool photos!

katrocket said...

Have the Chinese started a multi-mascot trend now? Collect all four? They are kinda cute, but I'm not sure if they're necessary.

cool photos!

Whiskeymarie said...

I like the winter olympics better too- probably due to my living in the great white north.

Great pics- looks like a good time!

i am playing outside said...

katrocket: just for the sake of proving you wrong, Beijing was far from starting the trend of multiples. they just had the most. here is the list to disprove your theory, thanks to the IOC website and the fact that i've got the week off:

Turin 2006 had 2 mascots, Nerve and Glitz

Athens 2004 had 2 mascots, Athena and Phevos

Salt Lake City 2002 had 3 mascots, Powder, Copper and Coal

Sydney 2000 had 3 mascots, Olly, Syd and Millie

Nagano 1998 had 4 mascots, Sukki, Nokki, Lekki and Tsukki

Lillihammer 1994 had 2 mascots, Haakon and Kristin

Calgary 1988 had 2 mascots, Howdy and Hidy

Tim said...

LOL they look so happy, did anyone tell them that canadians eat their mascots??

katrocket said...

I stand corrected, Olympinerd. ;)