Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Anti-Book Club


For what is possibly the first time in my life, I am completely rejecting a book. [NOTE: This is a rejection after starting it, not without even giving it a chance. See: Twilight]

The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon is one of the oldest recorded personal accounts of anything that comes from Japan. It is a very random collection of poems, lists, descriptions, etc. Basically a weird diary.

A friend gave me this book a year and a half ago, and I've been looking forward to reading it ever since [yes, that's a long time haha].

After about 10 pages, I have determined that I just cannot read this book. It is ridiculous. I can't read it, and I wont. On to something better!

I honestly considered throwing out the book, but I've decided that I'll go on BookCrossing.com and leave it somewhere for someone to pick up. Maybe they'll enjoy it more than me.

Have you ever quit a book?

6 comments:

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

I'm pretty good at being able to tell if I'm going to hate it way before I ever try to read it.

I usually will quit reading something when I've picked it up because I liked another book by the same author and realize that all of the authors books are exactly the same.

Most recently I quit reading a book by Chuck Palahniuk, called Haunted, because in the first chapter it was DISGUSTING and I couldn't handle it.

i am playing outside said...

that's a great way to entice readers... make them vomit and put down the book

Whiskeymarie said...

I've quit tons of books- if I don't like it I don't like it, such is life.
I quit "Memoirs of a Geisha" back when everybody said I just HAD to read it- I hated it. I have learned that just because the rest of the world likes a book, it doesn't mean I will.

i am playing outside said...

i agree with that! just because its good enough for oprah doesn't mean its good enough for me!

Tim said...

Tommyknockers by Stephen King, first book I ever quit. Gods that was a piece of crap. There have been others since than, but none with the same level of disappointment.

Arlynnia said...

I quit David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. It was not a fun read, and hard to know, who,w hat, when, where why or anything about the story. The moment I quit it was when I read the longest run-on sentence I have ever encountered. I had to count the words and the sentenced comprised half a page of a large format (not large print) book. The sentence contained one-hundred-thirty-three words. What the hell is that? I quit!