Saturday, January 5, 2008

The Loan Line

Today I spent a million hours in the line to pick up my OSAP. Well, not even to get the money, just to get the forms filled out. And maybe not a million hours, but three for sure.

AHH! THIS JUST IN! MY BUILDING'S FIRE ALARM IS GOING OFF VERY LOUDLY! I HAVE TURNED MY TV TO THE SECURITY CAM CHANNEL, AND IT SEEMS LIKE THE BUILDING STAFF GUY IS STANDING THERE AND LOOKING AT THE CONTROL PANEL AND TALKING TO A FEW RANDOMS AT THE FRONT DOOR. WOMAN WITH BABY CAME BACK INSIDE. I'M STAYING HERE.

So anyway, I made this special map so you can follow along as I detail my journey through the OSAP line, which was apparently a tour for students to get themselves acquainted with the University Center.

















The line started in the main hallway. In previous years, this line would move into room 205 and then you would need to take your form to a different room, and that was it. Two steps. Simple.

This time, the line went around the entire Health Center, down a hallway that I wasn't even aware of, so I assume it was built over the Christmas holidays. By the time I got to the Tim Hortons [CLOSED! ANGER!] An hour and twenty minutes had passed. At this point, my cousin Krystle randomly appeared and she cut into the line with me. I was not a fan of this because I don't like people cutting in line, but she was company HAHA.

ALARM STOPPED! YAY!

We weaved through a little maze to 4 stations which were set up and I had no idea what they were. We were asked for our student cards, and they were taken away from us. Then, the lady who took them came back with brand new student cards. I have three issues with this:

1. You gave me a new student card and used my hideous 2.5 year old picture? Why would you not take a new picture of me?

2. My old student card had good MEMORIES. It had my sticker for my first year meal plan. It had my all-access to sports games sticker. Little reminders from first year that I will never see again.

3. The new card has a chip in it. With information on it. But WHY? And WHAT INFORMATION?

After getting our student card, we proceeded to another desk where we were given further instructions on what our journey had in store for us, and a number. I was number 517, and we were currently at 468. We waited. And waited. Finally, Krystle got to go. And I waited. Then FINALLY, it was my turn to journey over to Room 205. On my way, I saw Darren and Gabby... two people from my floor in rez in first year... now a seemingly dirtbag couple. They were never nice people, so I carried on.

In Room 205, the lady looked at my brand new, sterile, same old hideous picture student card. She read my name, and moved towards the massive stack of papers in the R pile. She separated the stack about halfway through and landed on my name. We both went OH MY GOD. That woman is my new hero. I went at sat at some bleach blond twentysomething guy's station and he was about as exciting as an empty bowl of soup. We filled out the top half of my forms, and he sent me along to Room 308, even though I knew that I was supposed to go to Room 301 since signs told me this.

I was about to hit the stairs to go up to 301 and BAM. People are lined up all the way down the stairs. This has NEVER happened before. So now, Krystle and I have to wait in another line to go up the stairs and then around the open area upstairs until we finally make it to a room above the doors shown on my diagram. In this room, there are 5 people to serve about a thousand, and one is going home. 4 people now. I got to the only guy in the room and he asked for all my identification cards [student, drivers, social insurance] like 3 other people had already asked. *Usually if a person makes it to the last step, it is because they have already been let past the others.* The guy saw that I was from Renfrew and he knows someone from there, so we chatted. The woman beside him kept cutting in too. The guy was also checking me out a lot. It was odd. Finally, I signed my 5 signatures on the one page, and they all looked pretty much the same, which is the hardest thing I have to do every 4 months since my signature is never the same twice.

Finally, I was free. Free to walk that 1.5 kilometers back to my apartment, since I'm still a week away from actually getting the money for my loan, now that my forms are filled out, and I can't afford a bus pass until that money arrives. Fun!

I leave you now with the hideous picture of the hideous new student card, which is completely void of any memories except for this annoying day of waiting.

6 comments:

fishinbearsuit said...

That is some bad hair. I'm glad you blogged. I check your blog way too often for you not to blog.

i am playing outside said...

Yes I know. Two days. But I had nothing to say.

natasha boulanger said...

bahahahahahahaha! *points at that picture*... hahahhaa. God. made my day.

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

I didn't even recognize you! At least your student ID's don't have your social security number on them (you probably don't have those in Canada anyway) like mine did. I was scared to death to lose it and have someone steal my identity.

i am playing outside said...

that is pretty scary. we just have to bring our social insurance cards along for the ride every now and then, but we don't have it on the student card. although that information could very well be on that chip they have there now. scary.

Pauline said...

This is great info to know.