Sunday, January 13, 2008

The Faulkner

Two and a half years ago, I purchased the book 'As I Lay Dying' by William Faulkner
























My high school English teacher, Mrs. Scott, said that it is a very good book, so I decided to take her word for it. The book is written with thick southern accents, poor grammar, and is completely nonsensical in parts. I knew of this challenge going into the book, but I was blown away by the actual difficulty of it all. I could only read a chapter at a time.

Six months later, I was only 100 pages into the book, and I basically put it away. A year and a half passed before I decided to pick it up again [August 2007]. I decided to start back at the beginning. Again, the book was very difficult to work my way through, although this time I knew the general goings on of the first 100 pages, so it was a bit easier. I made my way to the halfway point by Christmas, and I had planned to finish the book during the holidays but there was no time.

Finally, this past week, I forced myself to sit down and read. Once I got into the second half, the book actually started to pick up, and progress was being made [none of the 'My mother is a fish' crap that the first half of the book is about]. So in 5 months, I read the first half of the book, and in 3 or 4 days, I read the second half.

I am proud of myself for finally making it through the damn thing, and now I can move onto something light by a new Will F: Will Ferguson's 'Why I Hate Canadians'.

RATING: I would play outside 3.5 out of 5 times with 'As I Lay Dying'.

5 comments:

Step Right Up said...

I enjoyed this Faulkner book. Though, being from Arkansas perhaps I am ahead of the game in southern speak and bad grammar when it comes to reading.

I have never heard of this 'Why I Hate Canadians'. Please share your thoughts when you're through.

i am playing outside said...

it may take me a while, but ill share my thoughts on the book eventually! i'm sure it will be witty.

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

That's quite an accomplishment! I've never been able to get through it.

Steve said...

you have angered the english major in me.
but, i also understand how you mere mortals would find it difficult (kidding!)
congrats on finishing. style and form can be hard to move past.

i am playing outside said...

psh. english major. psh.

:P