Thursday, November 8, 2007

The Country 25

In August, I promised Amanda that I would get her a list of 10 country songs for her to listen to so she can broaden her music library. I forgot. But she has reminded me, and I have come through... with 25 songs. In no particular order, I think these are 25 songs that should be added to everyone's country music library. I may even start adding a country video of the week HAHA. So here are the songs in the order they came to mind... I've also included other good songs by the artist. These are all artists that you may want to find more of, since they're pretty darn good. Titles in red are links to YouTube videos. Enjoy, and don't forget to LISTEN to the songs!

01. Nothin' Better To Do - LeAnn Rymes
Great song, even better with the video. She's definitely not 16 anymore HAHA. Other good songs are Somethings Gotta Give and Blue.

02. The Red Strokes - Garth Brooks
Fantastic video, fantastic song. All of his songs are fantastic, but some good ones just off the top of my head are Papa Loved Mama, Thunder Rolls, The River, The Dance, The Summer, and his new song More Than A Memory.

03. The Best I've Ever Had - Gary Allan
This is one of my favourite songs. Its a cover, but its very good [he sang it after his wife committed suicide due to depression and severe migraines] and I love the video. His green guitar is awesome. Other songs to check out are Life Ain't Always Beautiful, Songs About Rain, and his new song Watching Airplanes.

04. Boondocks - Little Big Town
Great song. There's a part a the end that I know is from an old cartoon but I just can't place it. I swear its Bugs Bunny or something. Other songs? Bring It On Home and I'm With The Band.

05. Landslide - Dixie Chicks
Great song. Its just nice. Great live! Pretty much any Dixie Chicks is good, but Traveling Soldier is sad, Not Ready To Make Nice is rebellious, and Goodbye Earl is awesome, as all people know.

06. Honesty - Rodney Atkins
Great song, although I don't think too many near-divorces end this way. Still, maybe it gives people hope? Who knows. And he's great live! Also check out If You're Going Through Hell and These Are My People. Watching You is good too.

07. Leavin' - Paul Brandt
Always nice to support the Canadians. There are lots of great Paul Brandt songs: Didn't Even See the Dust, Alberta Bound, Smalls Towns And Big Dreams, just to name a few.

08. Some People Change - Montgomery Gentry
This song was not a hit for Kenny Chesney, but Montgomery Gentry took it to much better places. Also listen to Gone and Something To Be Proud Of.

09. Coalmine - Sara Evans
All good things about Sara Evans. Slightly more traditional country, which is nice. Also see Suds In The Bucket, Cheatin', and her new songs As If.

10. Modern Day Bonnie And Clyde - Travis Tritt
Great song... just sounds fantastic, and its a fun little story. Another good one is Here's A Quarter.

11. Settlin' - Sugarland
Fantastic newish duo that used to be a trio. They're doing very well for themselves right now which is awesome. Listen to their sad new song Stay, as well as Baby Girl, Something More, and Stand Back Up.

12. Our Song - Taylor Swift
She's only 17 and already winning awards, and she's great live! She's a bit too 'high school issues' still, but she'll be bigger than Faith Hill. Also listen to Teardrops On My Guitar and Tim McGraw [yes, its the song title].

13. Fancy - Reba McEntire
Classic. I shouldn't even have to tell you what else to listen to.

14. Don't Take The Girl - Tim McGraw

This was the first country song I recall hearing and knowing. He's great live, and better than his wife [shh... but she just doesn't work the crowd as well]. I'd like to thank my father for starting it all. Other songs? BBQ Stain, Telluride, Seventeen. The best Tim & Faith duet? It's Your Love.

15. Whiskey Girl - Toby Keith
Trashy AND classy? Its Toby Keith! Also listen to High Maintenance Woman, Should've Been A Cowboy and Stays In Mexico.

16. Drive - Alan Jackson
I had to choose between many, many of his songs. Anything is good, but try Dallas, Where I Come From, and Don't Rock The Jukebox.

17. Before He Cheats - Carrie Underwood

American Idol did something right. She's good and getting better. Also try Wasted.

18. Proud Of The House Be Built - Brooks & Dunn
Sugarland is finally starting to kick their ass in the Duo Of The Year categories, but they're still going strong. I think the genre can support a couple of duos! Other good songs? My Maria, Play Something Country, and Believe.

19. The Best Thing That I Had Going - Brad Paisley
He's good enough that I've paid to see him live twice. He does both fun AND sad really well. Check out Ticks, We Danced, Famous People, He Didn't Have To Be, and his duet with Alison Krauss, Whiskey Lullaby.

20. Every Mile A Memory - Dierks Bentley
Nice nostalgic sort of song. Also look for Settle For A Slowdown, Bartenders Etc., and How Am I Doin'.

21. Wine Soaked Preacher - Corb Lund Band
Canadian. Good old Alberta old-fashioned style in the 21st century type country. Great live! Check out Time To Switch To Whiskey and Hair In My Eyes Like A Highland Steer.

22. Nashville Bound - The Road Hammers
Canadian. A band I've been dying to see, with many missed opportunities. Their entire deal is a revival of the old school trucker song. Awesome. Also listen to The Girl On The Billboard and Not Just The Beer Talkin'. They have a new CD on the way, so look for Casanova Trucker Man if you can find it. NOTE: That video is not the actual video.

23. Don't Blink - Kenny Chesney
What a fantastic new song. Well done. Sometimes I like Kenny, and sometimes I find that his lazy island lifestyle makes his songs a bit boring. Either way, check out How Forever Feels, There Goes My Life [which gives me a chill every time, as some songs do] and Summertime.

24. This Used To Be Our Town - Jason McCoy
Canadian. The creator of The Road Hammers, in fact. This song is on the list especially for Amanda. She'll understand. Not that its a big hidden meaning. Look for Born Again In Dixieland and Ten Million Teardrops.

25. Hillbillies - Hot Apple Pie

Such a fun song, although I know nothing about this band. Also hear Redneck Revolution and Makin' Up.

4 comments:

natasha boulanger said...

Theres some good stuff in here and that's coming from me who pretty much doesn't prefer country at all. Garth Brooks thunder rolls.. good song. Fancy is pretty classic. I did go see Toby Keith a awhile ago and he's pretty awesome. Dixieland I think it's called by Jason McCoy, I like that song. I also like Jo Dee Messina, and for the most part Trisha Yearwords older stuff.

Ps.. I don't like the Road Hammers after that first annoying song came out and it was all I heard for 3 weeks "I'ma road hammer... do do do do something".. yeah.

mando said...

Im def going to dload Fancy, I had that in my head whilst showering the other day

i am playing outside said...

lol awesome shower song

mando said...

Downloading is occurring, since my limewire is being an ignorant slut, Ive torrented, did a bunch of greatest hits and stuff, well see who lasts.

Right now I'm listening to probably my second ever country song, since dloads weren't existent when I liked country, and I'm on song 2 of the cd lol